Broussard was founded in 1884. The community was originally named Côte Gelée (Frozen Hills) because of its hilly ridge area and the severe winters back then. It was named after Valsin Broussard, a prominent local merchant who formed the first vigilante committee when his store was robbed. He was also a direct descendant of Joseph Gaurhept Broussard de Beau Soleil, one of the first 200 Acadians to arrive in Louisiana on February 27, 1765 aboard the Santo Domingo.
Primary agricultural resources include sugarcane, soybean and hay production as well as horse and cattle farming. Principal industries consist of oil and gas service companies, food distributors, real estate developments and manufacturing.
Broussard has gone from a horse and buggy community, with large sugarcane plantation homes, to a current day industrial community with hundreds of businesses. It was designated a city in November 2002. Yet, one still experiences its charm though the atmosphere of elegant Creole home cooking and Cajun food at the local restaurants.
Although the town of Broussard dates from the 1870’s, its most conspicuous development took place between about 1890 and 1910. The growth spurt replaced most of what existed before and created the town’s present architectural heritage. In many ways this growth reflected a contemporaneous boom in the production of sugar, which affected much of southern Louisiana.
The products of the early 20th-century economic boom can be seen today in and through its historic buildings. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church is the heart of the community and is located at the center of the town. The Acadians, when exiled from Canada, held strongly to their Roman Catholicism. Their strong faith has survived through centuries of exile and hardship and is very evident today in the culture.
Properties on the National Historic Register of Historic Places include Main Street Historic District, the Alesia House, the Andre Billeaud House, the Charles Billeaud Jr. House, the Martial Billeaud Jr. House, the Valsin Broussard House, the Comeaux House, the Ducrest Building, the Janin Store, the Roy–Leblanc House,St. Cecilia Schooland the St. Julien House.
Broussard is located at 30°8′32″N 91°57′49″W and encompasses 11.4 square miles. The population is 11,093 and is one of the fastest growing areas in Louisiana.
The city is 14th on the list of “Top 101” cities with largest percentage of females in industries, 55th for the most building permits per 10,000 residents, 80th for the largest percentage of males in industries, 21st for the largest percentage of French first ancestries, 47th for the largest percentage of French Canadian first ancestries and 38th for the most Black Protestant adherents.
Broussard was also rated 7th out of 113 for the best suburbs in Louisiana, 11th out of 113 for the best suburbs for young professionals in Louisiana and 11th out of 113 for the best suburbs to raise a family in Louisiana.
Come on by and see why so many people love spending time in the historical setting called Broussard, Louisiana!